Launch your Global Career with an International Study Tour this Summer -- UNSW + Scholarships Available - Nepal, India, Myanmar
- - - - -
Delivered in partnership with Laika Academy, an award-winning social enterprise, these study programs are immersive learning journeys in some of the world's most fascinating places.
These educational programs are professional learning experiences that harness the wisdom and knowledge of communities around the world. Think exploring volcanoes, lakes, and sustainable environments in Guatemala. Learning from, and launching your own social enterprise in India or Thailand. Seeing community projects in rural Vietnam or spending time in village home-stays in Nepal or Myanmar?
Whatever your passion and course of study, we have a program for you!
For two weeks, you will join a fun group of students, experienced facilitators, and in-country partner teams, as you experience the unique and special parts of our program countries. Each day is filled with unique cultural explorations; site visits with inspiring innovators dedicated to creating solutions to solve the globe’s greatest problems; great food and fun; and the chance to learn how to tackle some of our most pressing global issues.
You’ll have the opportunity to work on local projects, from water filters and solar units in Guatemala, to bamboo construction in Nepal, and social enterprise development in Myanmar and India. You’ll also co-create your own Action Project or social enterprise throughout the program with a small team, and work through the design steps from inspiration to prototyping. Through these incredible experiences you'll gain knowledge and experience essential to contribute to global sustainable development solutions.
- Startups and Social Enterprise : India - Learn about enterprise in the world's most populous country, from cutting-edge tech startups in Bangalore, the Silicon Valley of India, through to small-scale slum and rural ventures. All while learning by developing your own venture to pitch. $3,000 NCP Scholarships Available!
- Global Challenges : Nepal - Explore community building in this remarkable country. With rural home-stays and a chance to dive deep in the culture, you will work on a small-scale innovation project: innovative education modules, solar drying, community tourism and more. $3,000 NCP Scholarships Available!
- Sustainable Development : Vietnam - Based on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) get an insight into northern Vietnam by visiting social enterprises, rural ventures and projects from micro-projects to the United Nations Development Program that are making an impact.
- Civic Engagement and Social Change : Myanmar - This incredible country is in transition and there are exceptional organisations, people and businesses driving a more engaged and connected communities. Learn about the culture and change in this emerging south east Asian nation. $3,000 NCP Scholarships Available!
- Design for Social Impact : Thailand - Using design tools and approaches to learn about how to create positive social impact through products, businesses, and services. This multi-disciplinary program draws on an inspiring network of social entrepreneurs and impact designers in rural Thailand and urban Bangkok.
- Communities and Environment : Guatemala- The natural environment in Guatemala is phenomenal, and this course explores how people and nature can intersect. From volcanoes to Mayan history this diverse program will show to design for a better future.
- 4 December to 17 December, 2017
- 3 January to 16 January, 2018
- 19 January to 1 February, 2018
- 4 February to 17 February, 2018
* Dates vary per program, check out our program calendar to see more.
This program has been approved for UNSW Engineering Industrial Training (80 hours).
These programs are designed to count as an elective unit (and have been approved for a range of students). These programs also meet the requirements for professional engineering work experience. Talk to our team and your program coordinator for more information about gaining academic credit.
Multi-disciplinary (all fields), undergraduate and postgraduate, domestic and international students are invited to apply. No previous travel experience or academic pre-requisites are required.
This includes Accommodation / All Meals / Local Transport / Educational Content / Translators / Expert Facilitators / Community Visits / Tips / Cultural and Social Activities / Safety and Security
Program fee doesn't include international flights, travel insurance and personal expenses.
Scholarships and Funding:
UNSW has New Colombo Plan scholarships valued at $3,000 for eligible students for programs in Nepal, Myanmar and India. Point of contact for this is Selena Griffith <firstname.lastname@example.org> and UNSW International Centre.
Students may be eligible for OS-HELP - an Australian Government student HELP-style loan scheme. This interest-free, fee-free loan can be used for a range of expenses such as airfares and program costs with a value of up to $7,635 for travel in Asia. More info on OS-HELP is here.
Application and Deadlines:
To apply - complete the application form here: http://www.laikaacademy.com/apply.html
Final Round: 23 October, 2017
Applications will close when the programs are full - so early submissions are strongly encouraged.
To find out more and apply, visit our website - www.laikaacademy.com
You can get in touch by phone: (Julian) 0400260565 or email: email@example.com
Your fellow adventurers,
Mel, Julian, Britt and the Laika Academy team